Traditional Roast Chicken Recipe
Want to improve a classic? Add bacon.
- 1 free-range chicken, about 4 pounds in weight
- 5 to 7 ounces stale white bread
- 1 large onion
- 4 tablespoons parsley
- 1 1/4 sticks butter
- 4 or 5 slices bacon
- Preheat the oven to 475°F. Place all the ingredients apart from the chicken and bacon in a food processor and chop very finely.
- Stuff the chicken with this mixture, place the bacon on top of the chicken, then put in the oven, immediately reducing the temperature to 400°F. Cook for about 1 1/4 hours. Cover the chicken with aluminum foil if the bacon begins to burn. It should remain crisp.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and stuffing.
Beverage pairing: Faively Bourgogne Pinot Noir, France. Chicken can be paired equally well with red and white wines, but in this case red makes a nice contrast. However, the red must be light and with a little acidic pop, which is why this basic Pinot Noir from Burgundy is perfect. Make sure the wine is at about 65°F.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by