Baked Apples with Almonds, Mascarpone, and Honey Recipe
This simple dessert sings with flavor and complexity from the combination of floral apples, sweet honey, and assorted pistachios, almonds, and filberts (a.k.a. hazelnuts).
- 6 baking apples
- 3 tbsp pistachio nuts
- 3 tbsp finely chopped almonds
- 3 tbsp finely chopped filberts
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 lb mascarpone
- 3 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the mascarpone with the honey, leaving ripples of honey in the creamy mixture.
- Core the apples and fill the cavity with the filberts, almonds, and pistachio nuts.
- Top with a knob of butter and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve without delay, as otherwise the apples deflate. Scrape out the bottom of the dish well, spooning the caramelized juice and butter mixture over the apples. Serve with the mascarpone and honey cream.
Beverage pairing: Fèlsina Vin Santo, Italy. A simple, clearly flavored dessert like roasted apples and nuts needs something classic and elemental to show it off. Vin Santo, a wine made with the ancient process of drying grapes on straw mats to concentrate the sugar, is just such a wine. Its flavors lean towards dried stone fruit, making it a nice enhancement for the apples but with a shade of difference.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food