Root Beer BBQ Beans Recipe
Everyone loves beans at a barbecue. These have a nice root beer taste, but you can also use Dr Pepper, Cherry Coke, or the Southern favorite, RC Cola, for a distinctive flavor. Don’t use any diet drinks, as they get bitter when cooked.
This recipe was featured as part of our Make Your Own Soda Pop project.
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (36-ounce) can baked beans, preferably Bush’s
- 1 cup root beer (regular, not diet)
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 to 3 whole ribs celery
- Cook the bacon with the onions in a medium saucepan over a grill or side burner until the bacon is brown and crisp, and the onions have become transparent and are just starting to brown.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove the celery and serve the beans hot.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by