Cream of Stilton and Bacon Soup Recipe
A creamy, unexpected combination.
- 2 starchy potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 8 slices of bacon
- 4 ounces blue Stilton cheese
- 2 cups light cream
- Salt and pepper
- Boil or steam the potatoes.
- Drain, then transfer to a pan with the milk and blend. Broil the bacon lightly.
- Crumble the Stilton over the potatoes and gently stir it in. When the cheese has melted, add the cream and the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and place in the bottom of the bowls or in the soup tureen. Serve immediately.
Tip: You can use any other blue cheese instead of the Stilton. Before serving, add a dash of sherry or port.
Beverage pairing: Belhaven Wee Heavy, Scotland. A soup with such richness and smokiness (from the bacon) wants to be complemented, but also cut by the beverage. A good, malty, complex ale will temper the soup while also supporting it. This beer has the intensity and native richness to work with the Stilton, as well as a nice roasted quality to match the bacon.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by