Ham and Gruyère French Toast Recipe
Kind of like a croque monsieur.
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices white bread, 1 1/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 slices leg ham, trimmed to fit bread
- 4 slices Gruyère cheese, trimmed to fit bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper into a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- With a sharp, thin-bladed knife, carefully slit open one side of each slice of bread to form a pocket, leaving 1/2 inch around the edges. Spread the mustard on one side of the pocket and place a slice of ham and cheese inside. Put the pockets into a shallow dish. Pour over the egg mixture and leave for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat, add half of the olive oil and swirl to coat the base of the pan. Add two bread pockets, cook on one side for about 2 minutes until golden brown, turn and cook for another minute. Remove from the pan and place on a baking tray. Repeat with the remaining oil and bread pockets. Place the baking tray in the oven and cook for 10 minutes, or until cooked in the center.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by