Warm German Potato Salad with Bacon
Adapted from Nicolaus Balla and Cortney Burns
Traditional warm German potato salad gets a modern makeover in this smoky, deeply flavored version adapted from Bar Tartine: Techniques & Recipes, by San Francisco chefs Nicolaus Balla and Cortney Burns.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon good-quality vegetable oil, such as grapeseed
- 1/2 pound bacon, in 1/2-inch squares
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium green bell pepper, stemmed and seeded, in 1/2-inch squares
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium-high, about 375°F to 425°F. When the grill is hot, arrange the potatoes in a single layer. If you’re using an outdoor kettle-style grill, cover; otherwise, leave the potatoes uncovered. Cook until the potatoes are almost tender (i.e., slight resistance when you insert a small, sharp knife tip or skewer), about 1 hour, turning them once. Set aside.
- 2Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, swirl to coat the pan, then add the bacon. Cook until the bacon starts to render its fat, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables have browned slightly, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the paprika, stir to combine, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 4Remove the skillet from the heat and add the vinegar, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, 1 tablespoon of the marjoram or oregano, 1 teaspoon of the dill, the brown sugar, and salt. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Season with black pepper. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- 5Cut the warm potatoes into quarters and add them to the bowl with the bacon mixture. Add the capers and stir to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter, garnish with the remaining herbs, and serve immediately.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved