Gilroy, California, is the garlic capital of the universe—the only place where you can hang a steak outside on a clothesline to marinate in the garlic fumes from nearby fields and processing plants. This bread is loaded with garlic flavor, has a wonderful consistency, and is guaranteed to keep vampires away.
- 1Soften the yeast in the water in a large bowl.
- 2Add the cottage cheese, garlic, egg, oil, oregano, sugar, salt, and baking soda and stir well.
- 3Add the flour to the mixture, blend well, and put in a warm place to rise, loosely covered, until doubled in size.
- 4Stir the dough down and turn out into a well-greased, 2-quart casserole dish. Let rise for another 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 5Bake the bread for 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned, then let rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve warm.
Note: If you wish, you can add some chopped fresh parsley, savory, or basil (1/2 teaspoon each) for a tasty garlic-herb bread.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.