I can never get brown rice right...
White rice in the microwave is a piece of cake... It only takes around 8 minutes and you can leave it covered the whole time.
I tried your method - 8 minutes covered, 20 uncovered. When I took it out it was very watery. I covered and left it out for another 20 minutes. It looked like it absorbed it but the rice was still very wet, albeit cooked.
I did 1 cup rice, 4 parts water in a Pyrex cup.
I microwaved it again uncovered for 8 minutes and took it out. It was all mushy...
Covered it for another 5 minutes but didn't help much.
Put it back in the microwave for another 5 and then left it out covered for another 5. A little better but it was pretty much ruined.
Any suggestions? Maybe only 3 cups water?
I used 7 grain brown rice.
As mentioned in my other topic I have acquired a George Foreman Grill and have being making burgers on it every other day.
The problem is that is makes my whole suite smell - I live in a bachelor suite so the smell is everywhere...
I have 2 windows open while cooking but that does not make a difference. I leave the windows open daily but that smell still remains.
Once I get home from work and open the front door I am hit by the stench.
I left a big bowl of coffee grounds out in the kitchen, then in the main room for 2 weeks and it did nothing. I can only see that being useful in a closed environment like a fridge or a closet.
Any suggestions? I am not a fan of stuff that just covers up the smell like Febreze.
Thanks for the responses.
I kind of forgot how much salt is in bacon so that makes total sense.
The mold sure appeared fast, probably due to the heat. Like I said the container isn't even a quarter full.
I don't mind leaving the stuff out as long as this mold isn't going to cause any health problems?
I was given a George Foreman grill a while back and I have to say it's awesome. I thought these were a gimmick but it works very well. I do one burger at a time for 5 minutes and they come out quite nice. I don't have to flip them and all the grease drains into the little catcher.
I cut off any fat and dump it, a long with the grease into a container.
At first I was using a big cup from Wendy's to dump the grease in. I noticed when it was halfway full and I lifted it up there was some mold on the bottom. It looked like white stringy cobwebs with black dots.
I thought fat did not go moldy? I thought only after long periods of non refrigeration it would go rancid?
I chucked out the cup and started using a plastic container and covered it. Not even a quarter full and this mold is back again growing near the roof of the container.
So should I be putting it in the fridge? I know bacon fat doesn't go moldy being left out...
I am not saving this fat for anything, I just need to store it before I can toss it. You can't dump it down the drain.