Hi! My wife and I are heading to New Zealand in May and are putting together our list of restaurants to go. We're flying into Wellington and working our way up to Auckland. We enjoy food and although we don't spend $100s of dollars on every meal, if a restaurant is a must, we'll do it. But most important, we want good food.
1) Arrive into Wellington Airport at 9pm on a Sunday night - I assume we wouldn't be ready to leave our hotel on Featherston and Whitemore till 10pm at the earliest. Any restaurants that will still be open for a good meal?
2) Will be in Auckland for a full day so need a place for lunch and dinner. Some restaurants we read about were Logan Brown (is this really a 'gotta go and experience type place? hard to get reservations?), Finc, and Duke Carvell's.
3) Taupo - lunch - restaurant suggestions?
4) Rotorua - dinner - restaurant suggestions? Ochre?
5) Auckland - dinner - restaurant suggestions? French Cafe (reservations?), The Grove (reservations?)
I will be in the downtown Portland area for one day (this coming Sunday) and will be able to have one meal along with a bunch of stops for snacks.
If there was a restaurant that represents Portland, what would you recommend for lunch meal? I've heard good things about Higgins but are there any other places I should consider?
Also, I was told to check out VooDoo Doughnuts. Any other similar places in the area that I can stop by and pick up something for a taste?
And lastly, I do arrive late into Portland on Thursday night so is there any good late night dining (midnight and after) that I can check out that is close to Pioneer Square.
Thanks for any advice and info.