They just don’t write pound cake recipes like they used to, laments Das Ubergeek. After all, the cake got its name because it took a pound of each ingredient. His recipe stays true to the old ways, and also bakes for two hours! gus tried it out, and says it has a beautiful crust and an incredibly dense and buttery crumb. “It’s a heavy cake, but that didn’t stop anyone from wolfing it down!” he raves.
Real Pound Cake
1 lb. butter, softened
1 lb. sugar
1 lb. eggs (8 large)
1 lb. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 300F.
2. Beat the butter with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
3. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the sugar and beat until incorporated.
4. Scrape down the sides again, add the eggs, salt and vanilla, and beat until incorporated.
5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl; using your mixer’s lowest speed, add the flour a little at a time, and stop as soon as it’s incorporated.
6. Pour into a buttered, floured loaf pan and smooth the top.
7. Bake 2 hours, or until a skewer poked in the center comes out completely dry (the top center will be the last part to bake fully–don’t pull it out early or you’ll have “pudding cake”).
8. Let cool until you can handle the pan, then turn cake out and let cool fully before slicing.
Uebergeek’s Pound Cake–Thanks!