How to Make Shrimp Scampi
A fancy old-school classic
From the store to the kitchen to the table: We outline the steps that get you from raw ingredients to your dinner tonight, free of measurements and complicated techniques. It’s a method you’ll remember and whip out whenever you like. It is the most basic way to make the thing you’re making.
- WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- - a frying pan
- - a knob of butter
- - one large clove of garlic
- - salt and pepper
- - a pound of raw, peeled, deveined shrimp with tails on (if you’re using frozen shrimp, defrost them first)
- - white wine or vermouth
WHAT YOU’LL DO:PRINT PDF
1. Melt the butter in the frying pan over medium heat.
2. Mince the garlic and add it to the pan, then season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the shrimp and enough wine to cover the bottom of the pan.
4. Stir, turning the shrimp occasionally, until the shrimp turn pink.
5. Serve the shrimp and their buttery sauce in a bowl with crusty bread or over pasta or rice.
Illustrations by Bill Russell