Pack and Go
1. Roasted Delicata Squash Salad. A light lunch, this salad pairs spinach with sweet rings of roasted squash, tangy ricotta salata, and crunchy pumpkin seeds.
2. Cheesy Enchiladas. This recipe keeps well, reheats easily in the microwave, and makes 24 enchiladas—covering at least a week’s worth of lunches.
3. Pasta with Arugula Pesto, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, and Pine Nuts. A quick, flavor-packed vegetarian pasta. Plus, it’s good cold if you can’t leave your desk.
4. Smoked Chili. Chicken, pork, beef, and beans are simmered down in smoked beer for a filling lunch.
5. Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches with beets and dill yogurt served with Green Salad with Creamy Horseradish Vinaigrette. Leave these classic tea sandwiches whole for lunch, and add a crisp Bibb lettuce and cucumber salad on the side.
6. Winter Greens Soup with garbanzo beans and farro. A healthy soup that’s easy to pop in the microwave and full of energizing greens and whole grains.
7. Flank Steak Salad with Arugula. The flavorful combination of seared steak, lime dressing, red peppers, and arugula packs up perfectly. Use leftover steak for an even faster lunch.
8. Broccoli, Mushroom, and Gouda Quiche. A filling vegetarian lunch that’s good hot or cold. Speed up the quiche with a store-bought deep-dish pie crust if you don’t have time to make one from scratch.
9. Bourbon Steak Sandwich. Melty provolone cheese, marinated flank steak, roasted red peppers, and tarragon mayo make for a hearty sandwich. Bring it to work assembled and heat it in the toaster oven.
10. Pasta Salad with Spinach, Olives, and Mozzarella. A nice warm-weather meal, this cold pasta salad combines creamy pieces of fresh mozzarella, spinach, and salty kalamata olives.
CHOW’s The Ten column appears every Tuesday.