Snacktime: not just for toddlers. In fact, between-meal snacks are no less important than your three squares. We polled a loose circle of CHOW associates to find ten quick bites, from the mundane to the outlandish.
1. Bavarian-style pretzels with Jarlsberg cheese.
2. Sliced apples with almond butter.
3. A hunk of salami with a piece of crusty bread. Fra’Mani is one of our favorites.
4. Cold, good-quality roast beef or ham with a smear of Inglehoffer Sweet Hot Mustard rolled around a cornichon.
5. A pitted date stuffed with a raw almond. Try it with some good-quality blue cheese, such as Maytag.
6. Thin rye crackers with fromage blanc or goat cheese and cold smoked salmon. To make this vegetarian, substitute pears for the salmon and add a few grinds of black pepper.
7. A quick quesadilla: Combine shredded Monterey jack cheese with your favorite salsa and spread it on a flour tortilla. Heat in a pan and fold the tortilla in half when the cheese is melted. Add guacamole and sour cream.
8. A broken-up chocolate bar, sliced bananas, and a drizzle of honey. If this seems too indulgent, use yogurt instead of chocolate.
9. Cinnamon toast: Spread a slice of toast with unsalted butter, and sprinkle it with a mixture of turbinado sugar and ground cinnamon.