As any Chicagoan knows, taking a hot dog to the next level is largely a matter of how you top it. Ketchup might have no place on a wiener, but what about Fritos and jalapeños? Totally legit. So is the stuff that graces this brace of superdogs we've collected from fellow food sites.
1. The conjunction of salty and sweet is the appeal of the Tiki Dog, a bacon-wrapped frank brushed with teriyaki sauce, jumbled up with grilled pineapple and red onion.
2. The Creole Dog takes you to the South, where fried green tomatoes and rémoulade rule.
3. Morocco represents via the highly ambitious Marrakech Dog, which has ham-hock-and-harissa-braised lentil chili, red cabbage, and crisp onion rings.
4. The Cheddar Apple Dog takes a well-worn American flavor combo (pretzel bun, cheddar, sautéed apples) and wienerizes it.
5. We're not sure about the inspiration behind the Tahini Dog (vinegar cabbage slaw, tahini yogurt sauce, sliced scallions, red pepper flakes), but it sure sounds good.
6. The Vietnamese Dog is 110 percent banh mi: pickled daikon, carrots, and cucumber, with cilantro, mint, and Sriracha mayo.
Photos and styling by Chris Rochelle
Leena Trivedi-Grenier is a Bay Area food writer and cooking teacher with an undying love for pot stickers. She earned her master's in gastronomy from Le Cordon Bleu. Besides CHOW, her writing appears on her blog Leena Eats and in various food-based encyclopedias.